Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Singing the song

I read a quote yesterday that so beautifully articulated a gift that we have in our relationships.

"A sibling is someone who knows the song in your heart & can sing the words to you when you've forgotten."

How do we teach our children this? How do we teach them to listen to the "song" of their sibling, or any other human being, & reflect this back to them?

By you doing so first. By you simply hearing & singing back to your child their own beautifully unique song. As a parent, this is an innate ability. As a human being in general, we all have this ability. Sometimes we do need to "learn" this though. The majority of what we teach & learn, is unspoken.

With my first child, I was given a poem called, "How do I learn just who I am?" by Ruth Reardon:

"I learn from you who I am. Within your eyes I see reflected back to me. With your voice I hear how you see me. You are the mirror that I look into, & mold the image of myself. I sense the way you hold me, & from your touch, I feel my from, my shape. And if I like what I see in your eyes, your voice, your touch, my heart responds & reaches out. Then its reaching, grows & grows until I see myself as separate. Then separate self in turn-can love you back. Because you taught me who I am & I am loved."

What a beautiful & most sacred role we truly are given as parents. To help another human being know their own identity. For the truth of a child is one of the most important gifts you can help them to discover. Everything else in their lives will come from this place.

To help them build this foundation for health & joy, begins now. Regardless of what you have learned & maybe have taught up to this point, it is never to late to be the parent that you want to be. You are given the choice to begin to today to teach truth. All that is necessary will show up to support & honor you in this choice. To support you in knowing for yourself what truth is, of your child & of yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. If you have questions, you can also contact us at support@thegiftofyou.net Thanks!